Protect Yourself From Negativity of Others
There are times when we may find that being around certain individuals or groups of people leaves us feeling uncomfortable. It may be that spending time with a particular friend feels draining or that dealing with a specific coworker is exhausting. Being around toxic or angry people is also distressing. And you may even find that being surrounded by a crowd of people lowers your energy levels rather than perks you up.
This is not that unusual. Each of us radiates energy and is capable of being influenced by the energy of other people. It is important to learn how to protect ourselves from the negative energy of others. While some people know how to instinctively protect themselves from being adversely affected by negative energy, others may need to develop techniques that work for them.
There are a number of ways to avoid being affected by people's negative energy.
· Try to focus on solutions, not problems. Negative people tend to spend more time on problems than on solutions.
· Don’t feed into the drama. Negative people spend most of their energy creating and sustaining drama in their lives.
· Create and keep boundaries from anyone who wants to break you down, even if they are family or consider you to be their friend.
· Don’t try to fix everyone or everything. Trying to fix other’s problems for them is not helping but enabling.
· Respond, but don’t react. Response comes from mental clarity and emotional strength to produce a conscious outcome. Reaction is an uncontrollable reflex coming from fear-based survival instincts.
· Take care of yourself. You can’t help others if you can’t care for yourself. Self-care will help keep you grounded and strong when dealing with negative energy.
While it is important to know how to shield yourself from negative energy, there are those energies that you may not want to shut out. The energy of laughter from a newborn baby, the feeling of joy radiating from someone in love, and the frequency of calm emanating from an enlightened teacher or coworker are just some of the energies coming from others that you may want to have around you.